We’re looking to hire a backend engineer to join our team working on PSPDFKit for Web. We are building a modern PDF SDK with technologies like Elixir, React, PostgreSQL, Docker, and WebAssembly. Your role as a backend engineer will be to implement new features, improve the reliance of our server component, and work on scalability problems in a well-tested Elixir application.
- Work as part of a small, driven team that builds new features and fixes existing issues on a steady schedule, all while preserving a work/life balance.
- Make architectural decisions that will impact thousands of products for years.
- Write readable and well-documented code with meaningful tests so that we can ship new releases often and without fear.
- Spend more time getting things right as opposed to hacking something quickly.
- Collaborate with the whole company (Android, iOS, Windows, Core, Support, Design, Marketing, and Sales) using Slack, GitHub, and Zoom.
- Be familiar with or have an interest in learning Elixir and its ecosystem of tools and packages.
- Have a high-level understanding of the web technology stack: HTTP, WebSockets, cookies, proxies, caching, and the browser.
- Have a strong interest in scaling PostgreSQL or a similar RDBMS and understand the importance of both consistency and efficiency when designing the data model for an application.
- Be eager to learn more about systems design, highly concurrent applications, immutable data, and functional programming models.
- Have good communication skills and enjoy working on a passionate team.
- Have a pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- Have a good command of English for writing documentation and occasional blog posts.
- Understand the challenges of working on a distributed team.
Please note that you can be a perfect fit even if not everything we’ve outlined above applies to you. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to apply and ask.
- The ability to work remotely and set your own schedule.
- Room for personal and professional development by encouraging learning and experimenting.
- Numerous planned company events throughout the year (for example, in Croatia, Italy, Spain, and Vienna).
- The freedom to set up your ideal work environment.
- A motivated team and a work culture that enables you to do your best work.
- A generous vacation policy of five weeks, plus additional allowance for conferences.
An Application Should Include:
- A writeup explaining who you are as a programmer. We are especially interested in knowing how you started, what projects you have loved (or not loved) working on, what motivates you, and what surprising things you’ve learned since you began programming.
- A piece of code (it doesn’t have to be your own) that does something you find interesting, and an explanation why.
- Links to online profiles you use (e.g. GitHub, Twitter).
- A description of your work history (such as a resume, LinkedIn profile, or prose).
PSPDFKit is helping companies and users increase productivity across the globe. With our robust PDF solutions, we ensure developers and end users have the highest quality tools available to do their best work. Trusted by industry leaders throughout the world such as IBM, SAP, Lufthansa, and United Airlines, PSPDFKit is the go-to solution for integrating PDFs into your app. Find out more about us on the team page.
PSPDFKit is an equal opportunity employer with people from many different cultures and countries. We celebrate diversity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, skillsets, and perspectives, and to providing our employees with a work environment free of harassment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, marital status, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other non-merit factor. We’d especially love to receive applications from individuals who are underrepresented in the tech industry.
Apply for This Position